Environmental Education Program Coordinator
Reports to: Youth Program Director and Youth Program Outreach Coordinator
Courageous Sailing Center is seeking a creative, engaging Environmental Education Program Coordinator capable of continuing our current EE program that integrates applied science learning with our Summer Youth Program sailing lessons. During our summer youth program we serve approximately 1,000 students, many of whom are here on scholarships and would ordinarily not have access to this caliber of summer programming. We have beginner, intermediate, advanced, racing, cruising, Instructor in Training sailing levels as well as two academic-focused science and sailing programs that target students who are at risk for summer learning loss.
The environmental education program incorporates practical marine biology, environmental, and outdoor education activities into all of the sailing levels of the Summer Youth Program. We take advantage of our location on Boston Harbor to give students direct experience with this ecosystem. In addition, we foster a community of environmental awareness at Courageous by encouraging recycling, trash reduction, general stewardship and environmental responsibility.
Many of the students that attend the Summer Youth Program do not have other opportunities to spend times outdoors or experience nature up-close. Therefore, it is crucial that we introduce environmental education carefully and encourage life-long learning, memorable experiences, and positive interactions with the ocean.
- Work with the Youth Program Outreach Coordinator (previous EE Coordinator) to amend the current "Courageously Green" curriculum
- Design a comprehensive evaluation of the environmental education program
- Introduce EE program to staff at orientation
- Facilitate daily EE activities for each sailing level (ages 8-17), based on a designated schedule
- Facilitate EE activities on days/at times when sailing is not possible (too hot, too windy, raining, etc.)
- Weekly posts on the Courageously Green Blog and encourage other staff to write for the blog as well
- Post daily marine bio facts relevant to each week's theme
- Promote environmentally friendly culture at Courageous; including, but not limited to, encouraging Waste Free Wednesdays, weekly pier clean-ups, composting, recycling, fresh water conservation
- Must attend staff orientation and all 7 weeks of summer program, dress in Courageous uniform, and provide own transportation to Courageous Sailing Center
- Passion for the ocean, nature, sailing, and working with students
- Working towards or Bachelors degree in Environmental Studies, Science Education, Marine Biology or similar field
- Minimum 3 years leading hands-on environmental/science activities
- Minimum 2 years of education experience
- CPR and First Aid Certifications
- Experience with curriculum development and program evaluation
- Ability to lift 30 lbs.
- Extensive knowledge of New England floral, fauna, and sea life
- Ability to responsibly handle sea life
- Strong communication and teamwork skills
- Ability to teach outside in difficult conditions (noisy, rainy, hot) with few materials
- Note: ability to sail is not necessary**
June 22 - August 14, 2015
Monday - Friday, 8am - 4pm