Commitment to Safety
At Courageous we place tremendous importance on safety. We are constantly taking measures to impress upon our students that a safe sailor is a good sailor. Below is a partial listing of our safety regulations, rigorous guidelines that have given Courageous one of the best safety records on Boston Harbor.
- Life jackets must be worn at all times while on the dock. No student is allowed throug the dock gate without a life jacket.
- Most of our instructors are US Sailing Instructor Certified and all have attended Courageous training programs.
- A head instructor is always on duty to supervise operations.
- A safety launch accompanies all classes with at least one launch on stand-by at the Courageous pier.
- Our student-to-instructor ratio is 3:1 — one of the best in the industry.
- All launches are equipped with VHF radios for fast communication with each other, the boathouse, and if necessary the Boston Harbor Police and US Coast Guard.
- Courageous has a conservative foul weather policy. Boats are recalled or kept at the dock in bad weather and forecasts are monitored constantly.
- All students in the program must be able to swim at least 25 yards and tread water for 90 seconds.