We are currently seeking experienced keelboat, cruising, navigation and racing instructors to join our instructor team for the 2012 season, which runs from May 1 to October 31. Most adult program classes run on the weekends and weekday evenings.
- Teaching sailing on Boston Harbor - not a bad way to spend your spare time
- Compensation: $15/hour for US Sailing-certified Keelboat Instructors; $20/hr for certified US Sailing-certified Cruising Instructors with USCG license
- Free membership for instructors who commit to teaching at least 4 full Basic Keelboat classes during the season. Check out our website for details, but this means free use of the fleet and access to all member racing, events, parties, etc.
- The chance to have a really good time, become a better sailor and better teacher, and be part of a great organization.
Current US Sailing Keelboat/Cruising Instructor certification is preferred.
For those that don't have their certification yet, we are hosting a three-day US Sailing Keelboat Instructor class, June 9-11, 2012.
- US Sailing Level 1 or Keelboat Instructor Certification, equivalent or more advanced
- Current First Aid/CPR certification
- Passing sailing checkout with Head Cruising Coach or Sailing Director
- CSC motorboat qualified (mandatory in-house certification equivalent to completion of NASBLA-approved safety boat course through the MA Environmental Police and/or through the US Sailing Level I certification course)
- 1-2 years experience teaching sailing
- Exposure to basic sailboat and engine maintenance
- Must be available for occasional overnight cruises and island campouts
- Positive and enthusiastic attitude
- Self-starter with strong work ethic and attention to detail
- Outstanding references
- A passion for sailing, cruising, the ocean, the environment and working with youth
Other Considerations for this position
- Other certifications (Lifeguard, EMT, WFA, WFR, etc.)
- Prior experience with out-of-school, outdoor, or experiential education
- Previous experience cruising Massachusetts Bay and surrounding waters a plus
- Camping experience
Cha O'Connell, Director of Adult Programs
Phone: 617-242-3821 ext. 17