The Step 1 & Step 2 Leaders' primary responsibilities are to oversee and facilitate the day-to-day operation of their respective "Steps" at their respective sites.
As Step 1 & 2 are the point of entry for the majority of Courageousâ€™ youth sailors, the Step 1 & 2 Leaders must be highly energetic and excited about sailing and teaching sailing. The leader must be a team player and strong role model, capable of motivating and mentoring Courageousâ€™ newest instructors and youngest sailors.
While the Step 1 and Step 2 leaders are each charged with maintaining a fun, friendly and positive environment, this person is also charged with instilling within their instructors and students a deep respect for the Courageous fleet, the ocean environment and for one another. Also, this person must uphold a high standard of instruction in order to adequately prepare students for advancement through the Learn-to-Sail curriculum and into more advanced sailing courses at Courageous.
Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to: planning classes; creating advance plans for rainy days; planning â€śFun Fridaysâ€ť and other themed events throughout the summer; running classes from a support boat; training instructors and instructors-in-training; instructor performance evaluations; leading chalk talks; making sure all equipment for the class is cared for and well-maintained; working with the Youth Director to infuse sailing classes with environmental education and leadership training; communicating with leaders/coaches of other levels to coordinate advancement of students; assisting the Site Director with opening and closing the site; helping to fuel and warm up motor-boats each morning; working with Head Instructor Trainer to manage Instructors-in-Training.
At Jamaica Pond the Step 1 Leader may also function as the Site Director and works closely with the Youth Program Director. For more information, please refer to the Site Director job descriptions.
At Charlestown, the Step 1 & 2 Leaders reports to and works closely with the Assistant Youth Program Director and Youth Program Director. The Charlestown Step 1 & 2 Leaders will also assist in overseeing the training of our instructors-in-training and work closely with the Step 5: IIT coach to coordinate these efforts. For more information, please see job descriptions regarding Step 5: IIT positions.
- US Sailing Certified Level 1 Instructor or equivalent certifications
- Current First Aid/CPR certification
- Extensive safety boat driving experience CSC motorboat qualified (mandatory in-house certification that is somewhat more rigorous than completion of NASBLA-approved safety boat course through the MA Environmental Police and/or through the US Sailing Level I certification course)
- 3+ years experience teaching sailing
- Ability to communicate well with public, parents, partner organizations, etc.
- Experience in basic sailboat and powerboat maintenance
- Positive, enthusiastic, flexible, "can-do" attitude
- Self-starter with strong work ethic and attention to detail
- Outstanding references
- A passion for sailing, the ocean, the environment and working with youth
Other considerations for this position:
- Other certifications (Lifeguard, EMT, WFA, WFR, etc.)
- Prior experience in leadership role in a youth sailing program (specifically with children between the ages of 8 and 12)
- Prior outdoor education or summer camp councilor experience
- Other teaching experience
- More advanced Racing or Cruising experience
- Prior experience on Boston Harbor a plus
Kate Henderson, Director of Youth Programs
Phone: 617-242-3821 ext. 12